Although planned in 1941 as a bomber OTU satellite for Membury, Welford joined the ranks of airfields handed over to the USAAF. It opened in September 1943 as Station 474 for use by a TCW. Elements of the 315th TCG arrived in November, as did the 434th TCG the following month. The latter were soon replaced by the 435th TCG who remained the main unit and took part in all of the major airborne operations.
Major units - 315th, 434th, 435th, 438th TCGs